April 30 – May 6th is Screen-Free Week, a nationwide event celebrated by schools, families, and other community groups each year. Studies show that children who watch less TV are more likely to read well and to be physically fit. Turning off screens also allows for more family time.
The Robeson PTA is supporting this initiative by:
- Planning activities during screen free week (see attached calendar); and
- Holding a drawing for prizes for students who are screen-free during this week.
Participating is simple; help your children find activities that do not depend on a tablet, computer, or television! Also, please join us during some of the activities we have planned for our school community.
Then help your child record their successes on the tracker below and return it after May 6th to your teacher (teachers: please place these in the PTA box). The PTA will hold the drawing on May 10th and award prizes to students who were successful at being screen-free. No need to be perfect – send in your tracker with all levels of success! School-related activities do not count.
Here is what we have planned:
Mon, April 30, 2:30-3:30pm: Ice cream in Robeson Park! The PTA will hand out small ice cream treats in Robeson Park (just West of the school). Stay and play with your school mates! It’s supposed to be sunny!
Tues, May 1, 4-6pm: Putt-putt at Old Orchard Mini-Golf. Mention Robeson Elementary for group discount of $3.50 per game (regular $6). PTA will hand out a small favor afterward.
Wed, May 2, 3pm-7pm: Enroll for next year! Robeson enrollment for the 2018-2019 school year will take place from 3-7pm, with kindergarten screening from 6-7pm. Stop by the PTA table to sign-up for the digital directory; you can even pay 2018-2019 dues electronically!
Thurs, May 3, 5:30-7:30pm: Fishing Derby at Colbert Park in Savoy. No experience or equipment required (but do bring your own rod & reel if you have them). Parent/guardian supervision required.
Fri, May 4: No planned activities. Ideas include: Read a book! Climb a tree. Ride a bike. Play a board game. Cook for your parents (with their permission)! Write a letter to a relative or pen pal. Play a pick-up game. Make a fort. Have a dance party. Blow bubbles.
Here are other events in the Champaign-Urbana Community:
- Tues, May 1, 7-9pm: Introduction to Model Rocketry at the Springer Cultural Center. Free!
- Wed, May 2, 4-5pm: Mini Kites DIY STEAM Event at Douglass Branch of Champaign Public Library
- Wed, May 2, 7:30-9:30pm: Cheap Skates at University of Illinois Ice Arena, $2 admission, $1 skate rental
- Thurs, May 3, 6:30-7:15pm: Family Yoga Night at Champaign Public Library. Bring a blanket or towel.
- Fri, May 4, 5-8pm: Family Fun Fridays at Marketplace Mall. Free carousel rides and other activities.
- Fri, May 4, 6pm: Illini Baseball Game – Free Admission to Ohio State game. Free BBQ to first 500 fans, free hot dogs, chips, and drinks for all after that. Event includes face painting and inflatables.
- Sat, May 5, 7am-12pm: Urbana’s Market at the Square, Farmer’s market includes numerous kid’s activities. This is the seasonal opening day!
- Sat, May 5, 11am: Llama Llama Loves to Read Story time at Barnes & Noble; play at the train table before story time; often includes a small snack!
- Sat, May 5, 2-5pm: Hessel Park Concert, Edison Middle School Bands. Enjoy the renovated park equipment while taking in the music! Bring a chair and a snack.
- Sat, May 5, 3pm-3:45pm: Elephant & Piggie Party at Champaign Public Library. Celebrate Children’s Book Week with Elephant & Piggie-themed activities!
- Sun, May 6: 1-3:30pm: Artifact Encounters at the Spurlock Museum. Visit during this family friendly event to touch artifacts, see exhibits, and play games.
Contact kristimcduffie [at] gmail.com with questions.