Robeson families and staff! ROBESON APPAREL IS HERE! The PTA is facilitating Robeson shirts for purchase. The link to our own ordering page is below. There is a ton of selection, in men’s, women’s, and children’s styles and sizes. The PTA earns a slim margin of the sales and purchases a shirt for new teachers.
We want every student to have a t-shirt, so this year we have a new option: Sponsor a T-shirt. If you can, please purchase one or more of the “Donate a T-shirt” at the reduced rate. The school will distribute them to students who would not otherwise have one.
Orders must be placed BEFORE MARCH 25TH AT MIDNIGHT. We will pick up the orders and bring them to the school for distribution. No date yet (depends on how many shirts there are).
Thanks and let us know if you have any questions!
Just a couple of notes and updates!
- This week concludes a successful Read Across America Week! Robeson had a number of special guest readers on Friday, and handed out free books to every student in the school. The attached flier shows how students celebrated Dr. Seuss’s birthday week.
- The spring book fair is approaching! It happens during parent-teacher conferences. Only the spring book fair is BOGO (buy one get one free), so take advantage! Volunteers are needed to help run the book fair. See the calendar for details.
- To go along with Read Across America, the PTA is introducing a Young Author’s Contest. All students are encouraged to submit. Details are below.
- Multicultural Night has been scheduled for April 19th! All families are encouraged to get involved! See the newsletter and look for fliers for details.
- Clubs are in full swing – Running Club, Drama Club, and Really Big Numbers Club. Keep looking for information on Facebook, in student folders, and in the newsletter. Let us know if you have questions!
- The 5th grade blood drive was a success! Thanks to all who donated to help raise money for the 5th grade field trip (and to generally help the community)!
Young Author Contest
Do you love reading stories? Why not try writing one! This month students are encouraged to enter the Young Author Contest. Students may create an illustrated children’s book or a short story. New pieces or work completed in the 2017-2018 school year are eligible. Students should submit their work by 2 pm on Monday, March 26. The entry must include a cover page with the student’s full name, grade, and teacher. Submissions may be turned in to classroom teachers (teachers – please drop off submissions in the PTA mailbox).
All submissions must be the student’s original work. Peers and/or adults may assist with editing, like spelling and punctuation. All content must be age appropriate and in compliance with Robeson’s student conduct policies. Students may type or handwrite their stories. The entries will be evaluated on creativity, appropriate use of language, and story structure. There will be one winner per grade. If you have any questions or would like to help judge the students’ entries, please contact Melissa Ames at mames [at]eiu.edu.
PTA Meeting Nov. 28th
The next PTA meeting is Nov. 28th (note the change in date), 6-7pm, pizza and children. In addition to the standard business items (approving minutes, monthly budget, etc.), we will hear reports on the Otis Spukmeyer Fundraiser and the Scholastic Book Fair. Our main presentations will be from Principal Gaines on ALICE (active shooter response training) and a presenter from Be Smart For Kids on gun safety. See you then!
Cookie Pick-Up Dates
Cookie Dough will be delivered on 11/20. Pick up will be 2-6pm at Robeson. It arrives FROZEN and needs to picked up & delivered that day. You will receive a list of customers & orders. If your student rides the bus home please make arrangements to pick up the cookies at school unless they can carry it on the bus with them. Likewise, if you are out of town, make arrangements for someone to pick it up for you, as there is nowhere to store it and orders not picked up will be left outside the school that evening.
Permission slips have been given to teachers for everyone who sold 18+ items for the Jupiter’s pizza party & limo ride on Dec. 7th, 10-1pm. Chaperones are welcome with 89 students!
Running club permission slips have gone out in student folders and are also available on the Robeson Facebook page. The introductory paragraph is listed below, but see the form for guidelines, dates, and more. It starts in February and, if you know you will be participating in the culminating event of the 5k marathon, consider registering early here, as it will never get cheaper than it is now!
Running Club is organized around the activity of running, but the focus of the club is to promote the well being of the child. The club will promote fitness and encourage sportsmanship and a positive mental attitude. We will be teaching basic techniques, skills and strategies of running. We will also discuss values related to the sport. Winning and losing, cooperation and consideration will be constantly discussed. This will be an excellent opportunity for your child to learn about himself or herself.
Reminder about the PTA meeting TONIGHT, Tuesday, Oct. 17th, 6-7pm with pizza and babysitting. Agenda includes: Voting on this year’s budget, Principal Gaines talking about parent-teacher conferences and the implementation of student-led conferences, Principal Gaines talking about testing, Jenelle M Thompson-Keene discussing Feeding Our Kids, Suzanna Torres Coats discussing the upcoming Book Fair, and Regan Hunt Phillips talking about the Otis Spunkmeyer fundraiser.
Here is some follow-up information about the cookie fundraiser. Forms are due in no later than Friday morning, Oct. 20th!
We hope you are having fun with the Otis Spunkmeyer Cookie Fundraiser! It’s not only a great way to teach our kiddos about setting and working toward goals, handling money and being a part of a team but it’s a FANTASTIC way for us to earn money to improve our school!
Remind your little ones about the fabulous prizes we have! Sell 6 items = cotton candy, Sell 12 items = 1 free chocolate chip cookie dough FREE, Sell 18 items = a limo ride to Jupiter’s for pizza and games with Mr. Gaines (28 items combined for siblings), The highest selling class gets a PIZZA PARTY at school! Mr. Kaeding’s class took this award last year and it was FUN! If every student sells 8 items the WHOLE SCHOOL will get a sno-cone party!! Every child that turns in orders next week will receive a prize, no matter how many they sell.
TURN IN DATES:
- Tuesday 10/17 at 6pm (at the PTA meeting) Join us to stay in the loop! We are looking for volunteers and ideas for Fallapalooza 2018 and we invite everyone to be a part of our PTA. We are stronger together.
- Thursday 10/19 at 2pm
- Friday 10/20 at 7:45am (LAST DAY!!)
We will be in the front hall by the office collection order forms and money.
- It’s easier if the teachers don’t have to worry about keeping track of orders & money.
- Please turn in BOTH COPIES of your form. You will get one back with the cookies.
- Please make sure your forms are complete with your name & phone AND teachers name.
- Please make sure all checks have phone numbers on them.
- Each child must have their own separate form.
- For donations, count each $10 as an item and include it on the form totals.
- You do not need to add online orders to your form.
- We accept cash & checks (made payable to Robeson Elementary). If you have check made out to you, please consolidate and write one to the PTA.
THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE!!
Thanks to everyone for a successful Fallapalooza!
We are now turning to our second major annual fundraiser, Otis Spunkmeyer. We know these are right on top of each other, but we fundraise at the beginning of the year to pay for the whole year’s events. Please help your students sell frozen cookie dough and other goodies, with forms returned Oct. 19th.
We can also order online! Use the student ID off of your cookie form here. Flier with QR code included below our own Robeson flier.
Hi all, another reminder about the Fallapalooza fall festival and fundraiser this Friday, 5-7pm! This is a great community event where students and families get to meet each other, explore the school, eat, play games, win prizes, and participate in the classroom raffle and silent auction. Each grade made the raffle baskets together, with themes like chocolate and gift cards, while the silent auction items were donated by a variety of community partners.
Silent auction items include:
- Disney Park Hopper tickets for 4 people
- American Girl Doll of the Year 2017 Leah
- Soccer Planet birthday party package
- St. Louis family getaway package with tickets to The Magic House, Gateway Arch and City Museum
- First row seats to the Robeson winter concert
- Principal for a Day package with Mr. Gaines
- Eight hours of handy man services from Cory VanDeveer “The Handyman”
- Date night package with tickets to Parkland Theater and Sunsinger Wine & Spirits
There is still time to sign-up to donate items here (books, pastries for the cake walk, toys) or sign-up to work a 30-minute shift here.
Check out the FOOD for purchase: Dragonfire Pizza food truck’s menu is here, and Kona Ice shaved ice food truck will be there, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the PTA. Prices are approximately $7-12 for pizzas and $2-$5 for snow cones.
Let Jenelle or Traci know if you have any questions and we look forward to seeing you Friday!
Just a reminder that the open house (6-7pm) and first PTA meeting (7-8pm) are tonight (Tuesday)! Descriptions are on the calendar.
Also a reminder that there is no school this Thursday. The Chambanamoms blog has a helpful article with day’s out options if you’re looking for a place for your kiddos.